Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Special Guest Blogger, Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey, Home Tour

Happy Holidays Everyone!
I hope you're enjoying this wonderful season!
I would like to thank Maria for having me as a guest on her inspirational blog today!

My name is Cheryl and my blog is called Sweet Young Journey.
I live in Santa Barbara with the love of my life and our two precious daughters.
I have a passion for interior design and photography!
My goal is to create beautiful and comfortable spaces in my home for my family and friends to enjoy.
Blogging has been a fabulous discovery for me, because I love sharing my design project from my life and home with others.
I would like to share with you a tour of our home during the holiday season.
I hope you find it bright and merry!

Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

This recycled tin barn star was found at a local antique store. I used mason jars as candle holders to complement this look.
To add a little greenery, I tied snippets from the Christmas tree to the jars with Dutch butchers twine from Maria's store.
You'll see Maria's lovely red twine in several different looks in my home.
Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey






Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

A simple branch was used to hang the burlap stockings above the fireplace.
A branch is an easy way to bring the outdoors inside.
Beneathe the stockings, I placed an old country stool casually covered with a small wool rug. I added some white lanterns, candles and some gathered pinecones to finish the look.

Every year, I buy fresh garland from my local home improvement center to make my own wreaths similar to the one hanging from the mantel.
These wreaths are an inexpensive way to fill your home with holiday fragrance, plus, I love the simplicity!





Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey


Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

A shaggy wool rug, a pair of found tree stumps used as a coffee table and a reindeer made from canvas with real twigs for antlers give our living room a cozy winter feel.


Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey


Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey


Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

I used inexpensive burlap to make a tree skirt and added some pretty white ruffles to coordinate with the stockings.I've also made a pennant banner out of grain sack material and butchers twine to use as garland for the Christmas tree.
It's really easy to do and requires no sewing, just a little bit of time.

I made a no-sew Christmas tree garland tutorial for you...




Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

1. Trace a triangle with a stencil on desired fabric and cut out triangle shape. I used a cookie cutter for my stencil.
2. Using a hot glue gun add glue to the top of one side of the triangle
3. Use a tool (I used my scissors) to measure spaces in between triangles.
4. Add twine across the glued area
5. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat



Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

In my girls room I've added Maria's adorable little grain sack stockings, a Charlie Brown Christmas tree standing proudly in a galvanized bucket and paper stars made from old sheet music. A pair of angel's wings found at a local antique store lend to the room a heavenly touch.

Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey


Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

A fluffly Santa teddy bear rests on an antique white chair. Adding a touch of whimsy is a little sign reminding the girls "better not pout."



Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey



Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

On my dining table I used grain sack material as a runner and 3 lovely potted plants on top of white ironstone plates (or any casual white plate will do). For a bit of extra holiday cheer, I added these fun red patterned drinking glasses as well as Maria's little stockings to use as a pocket to hold a fork and knife.




Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey



Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey







Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

Guests enjoy having their own baguettes which I use as a name place holder by stamping their names on a card. A coordinated idea for napking rings is to cut out a 1 inch star from the grain sack fabric and glue it to an 8 inch piece of twin and wrap the twine around the rolled napkin and tie a basic bow or knot.

A rustic heart shape wreath simply hanging on my decorative door represents my feelings regarding the holiday season.




Styling and Photography by Cheryl of Sweet Young Journey

I hope you enjoyed the tour!
I'll soon be sharing a tutorial on my blog how to make the burlap tree skirt, wreaths out of garland and some handmade ornaments out of grain sacks.

Best wishes for a Happy Holiday and New Year!
Thank you once again Maria!

xo
Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl! I love the way you decorated your home for Christmas!
I love this post Cheryl did about turning apples into paint cups!
I hope you get a chance to visit Cheryl's blog.
Sweet Young Journey



I will be back on Friday with some Christmas decorating.
Take Care,
Maria



37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,
I'm so glad you had Cheryl on your blog, her style is fabulous! I've had the pleasure of getting to know her through blogging and she is a sweetheart as well!
Cheryl's home looks truly lovely all dressed for the holidays!
Have a beautiful and joyous Christmas Maria.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Lara said...

I love Cheryl's blog - wonderful style & she is sweet. Cheryl, your white holiday mantel is gorgeous!
Lara

P.S. Cute portrait!

ChiPPy-SHaBBy said...

Just LoVely... All the WHITE makes the adornments "POP"... Soooo Eye-Catching...
Jeanine Burkhardt

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

Love Cheryl's home....
so sweet just like her!

Thanks for sharing on your blog - you gals are two cute Cali peas in a pod ;)

XOX

Madelief said...

What a beautiful blog post!

Madelief x

Shannon said...

gorgeous and so creative! love her blog and home :)

Robin Johnson said...

Cheryls arrangments are so very pretty. I adore the pops of red. Thanks so much for this post. It's always fun to find a new-to-me blog to read.

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Maria,

Love Cheryl's beautiful blog - so glad you featured her home & lovely style! :) Hugs & Happy Holidays to you all!!!


XOXO's,
Jessie

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Wow, I can see why you liked her work, Maria, she's great! Thanks for sharing her with us.

God Jul,

Sandy

Rose Carey said...

I so enjoyed the tour of your holiday home. Thank you for sharing your banner garland craft. I look forward to visiting again soon.

Rose
www.thetarnishedcrownblog.blogspot.com

Bente said...

So beautiful photos. Love the old bed.

I wish you a vey Merry Christmas

Hugs Bente

Leah - The Inside Story said...

Beautiful post. I am off to check out Cheryl's blog. Thanks for the inspiration. Leahx

Blondie's Journal said...

What a lovely post! Cheryl's decorating and photography is just beautiful...I can't wait to visit her blog!

XO,
Jane

d e l i g h t said...

Cheryl is one of the sweetest bloggers I have met and her home, style and blog reflect that sweetness! I'm thrilled that you had her guest post and share her delightful home!

Jena Williams, Not So Shabby Interiors said...

What precious ideas, thanks for sharing! Love her style, just beautiful!

Laura Trevey said...

I love the sweet potted plants on the table ~ looks beautiful!!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I love Cheryl's beautiful blog and her lovely home. She really does simplicity and comfort perfectly.

~Shanon

Anonymous said...

These rooms are like a breath of fresh air. I love all the creative little touches.

Sabrina said...

Very Nice! I want to be in each room. Gorgeous how she invites you in through her eyes, lens and pictures.

Unknown said...

What a talented lady! Love all of her ideas...simple, yet a bit of elegance mixed in...makes you feel very "at home"...thanx for sharing. Merry Christmas. Tiffany

Heaven's Walk said...

See how your style has inspired so many of us, Maria? :) Cheryl's home is so utterly beautiful and she has truly nailed the 'Dreamy White' look in her home. LUV it all right down to the twine! :)

xoxo laurie

Coastal Health and Home said...

Dear Maria,

Love, love, love the photos.

I saw the "wreath" that she has in a store and thought they smelled and looked fantastic(someone else told me that it was actually garland). You can do wonders with an imagination.

Also, love the vintage girls bedroom.

Thank you for sharing!

I will check out her sweet blog.

The Corson Cottage said...

Love this! I love all the natural elements it looks fantastic. Photos are great too. ~ Carrie

Weisser Traum said...

oh deine weihnachtsdeko und bäumchen sind ein traum.
wünsche dir gesegnete weihnachten.
sei lieb gegrüsst daniela

martinealison said...

Une très jolie publication... Une décoration allant à l'essentiel et j'aime ce côté très nature.
Je vous envoie tous mes voeux de bonheur pour 2012 et je vous souhaite une douce nuit de noël...
Gros bisous.

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

Hi Maria~ Cheryl's blog was one of the first blogs I followed.I love her style and she is such a sweet person too:))It all looks beautiful.

Happy Holidays To You And Your Family~
xo~Cheryl

Seawashed said...

Her table setting is my favorite! merry christmas. ox

Vicky said...

Nice pics, and a merry Christmas to you too:)

Anonymous said...

So precious, her photography is just stunning! Who would have thunk to use a skinny branch on the mantle and hang stockings? And make it look fabulous no less!
Holiday blessings to you all, Marcia

Anne Marie said...

so nice to meet you Cheryl...your style is beautiful -

have a blessed Christmas.
Anne Marie

Leslie said...

Love the natural elements used in this decor. The table is perfect and I love the table runner!

summersoul said...

I have been following Cheryl for a while and always enjoy reading her posts. thanks for sharing her holiday home. It is stunning. I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season Maria.

MC

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

BEAUTIFUL home tour, thank you for sharing.Wishing you & yours a very Merry Christmas!

Mariaelena said...

Thx for the apple cider recipe...your holiday decor is so lovely!!...please come on over and visit to see my kitchen reveal and my Christmas tour...Merry Christmas to you and enjoy this very special weekend!..Mariaelena

Anonymous said...

cute photos, thank you for share
them.

jone said...

Very entertaining subject, I will bookmark your website to check out if you publish more in the future. Thanks!

Maison Marie et Florence said...

Verry nice!!
grtz Manuela