Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tulle Flowers and Hometown Girl

photo by me

Today I want to share someone with you that is sweet as can be and very talented.

Do you remember my post about my daughters' room?
Well after I posted about their bedroom redo, I decided I wanted something to go in my girls room that would resemble those pompoms. I knew just the person to ask to design something that would give a similar look, but would be made of fabric, not paper.

Her name is Susan!
She is the author of the wonderful blog Hometown Girl.
Susan is so talented. Her etsy shop, Paperhill is filled with the loveliest items.
I am going to show you some photographs I took of the tulle flowers Susan made for my girls room. I think these would be great in a nursery or any little girls room. You will also notice I put them on the back of my bistro chair, I thought that would be a fun way to use them either for a wedding, a bridal shower, or a baby shower.
Just an idea!
I think Susan could easily get a job working for
The Martha Stewart Weddings Team.
I am not just saying that either. After Susan sent me these lovely tulle flowers, Martha Stewart Weddings came out about a week later with an entire story on how to use tulle flowers.

I hope you enjoy my interview with the talented & beautiful Susan!

Hello Dreamy Whites readers,
I can't tell you how excited I was when Maria asked me to be a part of her lovely blog. I adore Maria, she's not only super talented she is such a sweet person! Thank you so much Maria, I'm honored!

What inspired you to start a blog?

I met a girl at an estate sale and while we were chatting she told me about her blog. I went home that day and looked her up. I'd been so busy raising our three young children I barely knew the blogging world existed. My shop had been open for awhile and I had some Etsy friends who had blogs. They encouraged me to join them. I thought it might be a nice extension of my shop but at the same time I wanted my blog to be about more than that. I have so many interests! I love to cook, I love to take pictures, estate sales & flea markets, I love to create, the list is endless.


I love the name of your blog, Hometown Girl. What is the story behind the name of your blog?

I decided to name it Hometown Girl, and if you read my answer to the next question it makes sense!

Where are you from?

I live a in a suburb of Buffalo, NY where I have spent my entire life. My husband & I bought an old farmhouse built in 1890, a home I had long admired and my parents live two minutes from us in my childhood home. Buffalo tends to get a bad rap but it's really a lovely place. Despite our long winters (which you get used too or become a hockey fan to pass the time!) the seasons are beautiful and the people are really great. My blog encompasses my love of my family, our home and my long list of interests.




What inspired you to start an etsy shop?

As a Mother I felt like I was getting a little lost taking care of the kids and the household responsibilities. Up until I had my children (and got married) I had a place of my own, a job and my own identity. With that said I didn't long to go back to work and was fortunate enough to be able to stay home which is really where I wanted to be but I needed an outlet of my own. I starting buying some old things, using them in new ways and then I found Etsy! I was thrilled to find I could set up shop for very little money and off I went!

What is your best selling item?

I have a few things. The sheet music pockets are a big seller. I've folded over 600 of them since I starting making them. My fabric cuffs and ring bearer pillows have been good sellers and my rosette tutorial has been a hit as well.

What is your favorite thing to create?

Anything new! I'm not the type of person who wants to make too many of one thing (despite the pocket sales!). I lose interest making the same thing over and over. For me it takes the joy out of creating. With that said, I do take on orders because it's nice to also make a little money. My shop runs itself. I don't spend any household money to run my business and I get to buy and save for some fun things with what I make. I also use some of the money I make to pay some small household bills which makes me feel good.

Where do you look to find inspiration for creating all of your beautiful items.

It comes from a lot of different places. I love design shows and if I have the TV on it's either HGTV or Food Network. I'm a total junkie when it comes to magazines. I love weddings too, they are a great place for inspiration. Often the items themselves inspire me to reinvent them. I'm a huge Project Runway fan, I love to see the creative process of others. Last but not least I'm inspired by many bloggers and artists as well.



Do you have any advice to give to other women who are thinking about
starting an etsy shop?

Do a little research on the items you think you might want to create and sell. Get your tax ID and file your DBA so your business details are in order. Find a friend you can ask questions, a mentor, someone who will be your cheerleader when things don't go the way you imagined they would. There are lots of ups & downs (at least there has been for me) but I have some really super friends who keep me going when I'm in a creative slump or my sales slow down. It's all part of the process and with each new thing you learn. Taking really good pictures is a very important part of selling online and learning to use editing software can't hurt either! My last bit of advice, dream big and go for it!




Thank you Susan!

You will also notice I put them on the back of my bistro chair as well.

I thought that would be a fun way to use them either for a wedding, a bridal shower, or a baby shower.
Just an idea!

I just want to add that the tulle flower in the above photo, Susan made from the underskirt of a vintage wedding dress, I love it!



The pictures below were all taken by Susan.
I love this table setting she put together.
It is beautiful!


You can read about it here


I also love this photograph she took of this barn!
Susan loves barns, and so do I.


The photo below shows a small sampling of what you will find in Susan's beautiful

She is one talented girl!

Thanks again Susan for letting me interview you and borrow some of your beautiful photos.
I love her blog!


45 comments:

Lara said...

I love the contast of the ballet pink tulle on the white.. so pretty! What an amazing and inspiring pillow focal point! I'll be checking out Susan's site.
:) Lara

Shannan Martin said...

Those tulle roses are the perfect everyday solution! Ya'll are geniuses. :) And Susan is such a stylish mastermind! Her things are just lovely. I'm still swooning over that beautiful outdoor tablescape. Fantastic interview once again, Maria!!

Anne Lorys said...

Another wonderful interview, Maria!

I was already familiar with Susan's blog, but it was so nice to learn more about her. She gave some really good advice setting up an Etsy shop, in particular.

And as usual, your photos are absolutely swoon-worthy!

Been thinking about ya and praying for you of late, my friend. Sending you a big Texas hug!

Anne

Anonymous said...

I like the tulle roses but alas the hubby here would think I had gone insane....they would be very fun at a wedding for sure....nice fabric roses.

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I love Susan's blog and really enjoyed your interview!

Anonymous said...

I lvo ehow you take the time to sprinkle the flowers around the floor for your photo shoot. Your attention to detail makes for such beautiful photos. And the turquoise table and chairs set is so cute~

paperbird said...

I adore Susan's blog- you are too cute, I love the interview. Your images are sooooooo beautiful.

Lili said...

It was so much fun to read this interview about Susan. She is one seriously talented lady. I just love her photography combined with her amazing styling. ~Lili

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

Maria, those tulle flowers are so so whimsical and lovely! What a fabulous idea!! And as always, your photo have me dreaming :) So gorgeous!

Thanks so much for introducing me to Susan!! I can't believe I'd never visited her beautiful blog before!!
I'm hooked!

1 Funky Woman said...

Oh I love them. You can never have too much tulle! I am loving her blog too!

Yvonne - Frl. Klein said...

Oh, it looks so beautiful! I love tulle!
And Susans blog is so nice!
Have a great day,
Hugs, Yvonne

Debra@CommonGround said...

They are just darling, any little girl, or big one, would love them!
hugs,
Debra

Linda @ Painted Whyte said...

Maria,
Thanks so much for introducing us to Susan's blog and etsy stores. I have already added a bunch of things to my favorites - the rings are gorgeous and a new thing i've been into lately. I also love the kits she makes. I've been thinking of starting my own etsy shop so thank you so much for all the info and advice.

Cant wait to see who you interview next. Your blog is one of my favorites!!

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi maria,
Sorry that I've been AWOL, but I've had computer trouble !! Modern technology is great ..... when it works !!!!
Thanks for the introduction to Susan's blog. I shall definitely be popping over to see her. I love the photographs, especially the one of your bistro chair.
XXXX

Anonymous said...

Great interview, will pop over to Hometown Girl for sure. Love the tulle flowers, so pretty!
alicia

Privet and Holly said...

Read on HG that Susan would be interviewed, here, and it didn't disappoint.... I followed her blog before I even understood HOW to officially "follow" and she has been a tremendous inspiration to me, just starting out. Not only is she a wonderful photographer but also just a super nice person and an entrepreneur, which is very inspiring for those of us to balance our aspirations with our home life. I wanted to compliment you on your beautiful blog as well. DREAMY is spot on!
Thank you for inviting us in for this lovely chat with Susan!
xx P&H

Unknown said...

Hello Maria! Thank you so much for doing the interview, I'm so happy it looks just beautiful and your readers are so lovely!! Have a wonderful day!! Susan

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Thank you Maria for sharing her blog and etsy shop! The photos look so pretty ~ can't wait to go take a peek! Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Hi dear Maria!
the tulle flower are so lovely! and thank you for introducing Susan, now I'm going to check her blog and say hello!!

Hugs!
Mara

Anonymous said...

Thank you Maria for introducing me to Susan. I will be going over to her blog now. You both are so inspirational and talented. Shhhh don't tell but a husband (poor guy) sold me five bolts of tulle for a dollar at a garage sale last week while his wife was inside! Heads up ladies do not leave your hubby outside alone! Ha. Thanks again for the interview <3

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

Thanks for the introduction to the lovely Susan, I've now found a new blog to add to my must-read list! And those tulle flowers are just gorgeous, I only wish my girls were younger so I could put these up all over their rooms. K xx

Flaviana said...

Maria, my darling friend.. there is no place like your blog! I don't even have to wander the web looking for inspirational new blogs because I know I just have to visit you and find exactly what I need: beauty and talent. Your friend Susan is amazing, just like you !
with love
Flaviana
P.S. I'm having a giveway,stop by, if you have time ! xxxx

Debbie said...

Love the tulle flowers! I will definately be checking Susan's blog out later today. Your pics are just beautiful Maria!!

Tricia said...

Great post! I adore Susan and her blog as well and it's fun to find out a bit more about her.
Thanks to you both.
T

Debby said...

What a nice interview. I love the flowers and the table set in the snow. Very sweet.

Unknown said...

Ohhh I love Susan too! Love those flowers she made for your girls...so sweet. You girls are just awesome!!!! (((hugs))) Susie~

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Hi sweet Maria!
Gorgeous flowers your girls room is magical! loved reading the interview and thank you for introducing us to antother wonderful blogger!
XO
Kristin

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Hi sweet Maria!
Gorgeous flowers your girls room is magical! loved reading the interview and thank you for introducing us to antother wonderful blogger!
XO
Kristin

Val said...

I love what you made with tulle!your photos are dreamy as usual!
Val

Arlene said...

Oh how I love tulle! And what a great way to incorporate it. I'll have to go by her place and check it out.

Twig said...

I've just loved her stuff for so long! She's such a sweetheart! Look at those tulle flowers....I think I need some! I love the nostalgia of them being made from vintage wedding dresses. That makes them so incredibly special. I just wonder who the lucky bride was...the story behind it intrigues me! Anyway, just wanted to say hi and tell you that I loved this post and your pictures! Where did you get your adorable chair?!

Janice said...

Oh those are so beautiful, the photo of the garden chair is stunning. It reminds me of a little girl in a beautiful tutu. Your photography always delights me. What a great interview, I'm going to check out her store.
Janice

Melanie said...

Beautiful, Maria!!! The petals in the first shot are breath-taking!!!

I hope all is well in California. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!!!

btw.. did you get my e mail? I have been a little out of it. Hopefully I sent it to the right person!:-)

Hugs to you, my friend!
Melanie

Kristen said...

Susan has been my friend since grade school & she has been a big inspiration for me. I started an Etsy shop & blog because of her. I am still a work in progress but, if I need any help I go to Susan! She is the sweetest, dearest friend I have! Thank you for sharing.

Ness Lockyer said...

They are beautiful and what great advice for others wanting an Etsy shop. I am off to have a look.
Hope you are having a great day.
Ness xx

FEDERICA said...

I love reading your wonderful interviews Maria!
And I love looking at your gorgeous photos! Your home is stunning and every single details is just perfect. Love love!
Could I move into your home with your family? :-) Hahahahaha
Wish you a wonderful weekend my friend.
Federica
xoxo

sharon santoni at my french country home said...

Your guest interviews are very generous and always a joy to read. This one's no exception, great girl, great shop.
Have a great weekend
Sharon

LuLu said...

Oh my goodness I want to wrap my whole home and self now in tulle!!! I adore Susan's blog and find her post uplifting and beautiful.
Wishing you a wonderful Mother's Day weekend,
xo,
LuLu

vosgesparis said...

She sure has a talent and I think it looks beautiful in your home, I love the picture of the bistro chair with all the flowers on the ground, well done girl!

I just sent you an email ;)
have a great weekend,
desiree

Amor Designs said...

Love the pictures! Very Stunning! Just stopping by to say Happy Mother's Day to you too. Cheers!

Marcie said...

Your blog is stunning. I love decorating with white. I am so glad I found your blog.

Marcie

Rozmeen said...

Hi,

I just love your blog..the pictures are so beautiful. I have been following your blog for a few weeks now and I am addicted. Today I started a blog of my own. Hope you want to visit once.

Kind regards, Rozmeen

Summerside flowers said...

Great Post........
Gorgeous flowers your girls room is looking wow.....
Thanks for this great post.

Anonymous said...

Awesome.. Ill be keeping u on my to read list.. My fellow buffalonian. Go sabres! :-)

Anonymous said...

For еxample, if your home office is 100 squaгe
feеt and ƴour home is a total of 2000 square feet,
then yߋur percentage is 5%. Educɑting these
customers іn how to handle their taҳ ɑffaіrs in the future can save them many thoսsands of dollars.
Not sure if the IRS has a copy of a 1099 or Ԝ-2 wage statement.


Also visіt my blog post :: Boca Raton respironics CPA supplies; ,