Monday, October 31, 2011

Paperwhites, Ironstone, Cafe Au Lait Bowls, and Pebbles....



Hello!

Paperwhites are one of the easiest bulbs to grow in the home....
If I can do it anyone can....
If you want to be able to enjoy these during the Christmas season, now is
the time to start planting these...
The kids and I planted some this weekend.
So I thought I would share a few pictures with you....


What you will need....
A few dishes....
I chose a variety of ironstone dishes from my collection.....
The last time I planted these (which was a few years ago)
I got a little crazy and filled every dish imaginable...
I tried to keep myself under control this time....


You will need to fill your dish half way full of pebbles.
I bought a bag of really cheap river pebbles at Lowe's.
Paperwhite bulbs contain all they need to grow, so you don't actually need soil....
However you can still plant them in soil if you wish....
I like to use pebbles.


Set your bulbs on top of the bed of pebbles with the roots facing down....


You can cram the bulbs together....
No need for spacing...


Add water...


Fill your dish with water just to the base of the bulb....


You don't want the bulb to be fully immersed into the water....
They will rot...


Set in a warm room....


In about five to six weeks you should see blooms...


If you want you can plant one bowl a week for the next couple of weeks so that you 
have a continuous supply of blooms during the holidays....


Be sure and check your water levels....


I am sorry I only have pictures of the bulbs....
Hopefully I can get some actual pictures of blooms during the holidays...
You can read more about paperwhites here....


On another note....
I wanted to share a couple of blogs with you that I think you will enjoy....

{Lara's photography and styling is beautiful}

{Cheryl is a California girl that is blessed with so many talents)

I hope you get a chance to visit these two girls...

Enjoy your Monday!
Take Care,
Maria




33 comments:

Teacup-In-The-Garden said...

Thanks for this great post! I will plant my paperwhites this week...
Have a nice day,
Markus

tinajo said...

Looks very pretty! :-)

kiki said...

Thanx for reminding me! I bought some paperwhites last year at Petersham Nursery in London and I forgot their name!
I will plant them today :)
Have a nice day,
Kiki

economistapercaso said...

didn't know it was so easy... I'll go out and look for some of them!!!
Thanks!

Azzurra

economistapercaso.blogspot.com

Fairfield House said...

Maria,

I too fill my home with paperwhites during the holidays. Thank you for the suggestion of planting some each week so the blooms are ongoing.

Your Friend,
Deborah

Anonymous said...

if you add rubbing alcohol to the water (1 part alcohol to 10 parts water) it will keep the paperwhites from getting quiet so high and falling over. They stay at a much more full and lush size. Nancy Settel sheepishgrin92@yahoo.com

Razmataz said...

Thanks for showing us Maria. I've never grown my own. I sometime buy them and transplant them into white pots but they never look as good after transplanting.

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

How fun!! You have totally inspired me to plant some paperwhites!

Lynne said...

Maria!
Such a lovely post and reminder!
Thank you!
~Lynne
[w/L]

Robin Johnson said...

I have always wanted to try this. Thanks for the great tips.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I love Paperwhites and bought some bulbs for the first time last year. Definitely getting them again!

Anonymous said...

Really? It's this easy? Thank you, Maria - you have inspired me to try it!

Unknown said...

I never wanted to grow a bulb before...but you made this look so pretty : )

TheCrankyCrow said...

Mmmmmm....can almost smell them already....I love paperwhites....Your choice of containers is perfect!!! Happy Monday! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Maria,

Great idea however when potted with some potting soil they will do far better! I've sold Dutch Delft white planters with paperwhites for several years and we always planted them in potting soil. They need some nutrients too as they cannot live from water alone. That way you can plant them in the garden after they've bloomed and they will multiply there every year. If I were you, I would try to do it both ways!
Love to you,

Mariette's Back to Basics

Linen and Burlap said...

Thanks for reminding me. :) I love having paperwhites for the holidays. I haven't planted them for a couple of years. I will plant some this week. Thanks for your lovely blog as well. I found your blog when I was just starting to think about a blog myself. Your blog has been quite an inspiration.

Linda said...

Thanks for the reminder... Just pulled mine out of the cold cellar.
My other Christmas plant has started to shoot up so I moved it to a warm spot.

Weisser Traum said...

danke für die schönen bilder.
so zart,puristisch,aber einfach traumhaftschön.
wünsche dir einen schönen tag grüässli daniela

Coastal Health and Home said...

Dear Maria,

I love paperwhites.

I wish there was a way from
keeping them from drooping.
I've been told that means that they're cold.

Thank you for sharing.

Best,

CBO

sell wow accounts said...

they look so lovely~

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures.

Regards from Sweden

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Oh what would winter be without them...I just adore paperwhites..just wish they smelled better (eww)

Anonymous said...

got it! thanx for reminding me .
i gottem started, my concern was about removing the "onion skin" outer peel...guess it does not matter tho...happy November~ cONnIe :-)

Heaven's Walk said...

Wonderful reminder to be sure to add a little "spring" to my Christmas decor, Maria! I love seeing paperwhites surrounded by cedar boughs next to the Christmas tree. :)

xoxo laurie

Lara said...

Thank you so much for the nice things you said about my blog!!! That means so much to me - coming from you! I am so going to start some of these bulbs & am going to pick up those cute little pebbles. Your photos are so gorgeous - you are soooo talented at painting with light!
With Love,
Lara

Anonymous said...

Maria, I was not familiar with Paperwhites till I saw this. Could you please tell me how much should the water level be? In case im planting them in pebbles?

Sweet Young Journey said...

Oh Maria, you have made my heart sing! What an honor to be mentioned on one of my favorite blogs! Thank you so so much!
I cant wait to plant some of these bulbs with my daughters. They'll have so much joy watching them grow! Thanks for the idea.
I hope you and your family had a great Halloween!
Have a great week!
xo Cheryl

di said...

Beautiful photographs and blog. I've always wanted to do bulbs indoors, you've made it look very easy:)

di

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria! I love to stop by your blog! It's so beautiful and inspiring. I just LOVE your photos! They're breathtaking!

Unknown said...

Nice blog…. I love nordic and french white style… but i live in italy…. I will do my best to take inspire from you images..Kisses
Simona

Unknown said...

Thanks for this. I always come to the paperwhite-party too late! Now I will get a jump on Christmas...in fact, this will be my first Christmas-2011-thing to do!

Vær våken said...

How exciting! Thanks for the links! I will check them out right away!!!

Kristin

sandy said...

thanks so much for the heads-up to do this now! I planted some last year and it was way after Christmas when they bloomed. Mine were top heavy though and the stems kept falling over. Oh and I will try it with just the pebbles this time! Great idea. They smell so pretty, almost like jasmine.