Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows, Gift Ideas, and Serving Hot Cocoa during the Holidays



Hello!
I first want to thank all of you who left such kind comments about my daughter's 
Nicole appreciates every comment.
Today I wanted to share a fun recipe and a quick gift giving idea.....
I come from a large family and all of us girls learned how to bake....
A lot of times for Christmas my favorite gift to give is baked goods or homemade candies.
The fun part is finding something fun to put the baked goods in....
I thought I would share a gift idea I have done in the past....


They are both so simple to make.

Nicole made the marshmallows and Bethany made the hot chocolate....


Just a warning on the the marshmallows...
They have to set up for a couple of hours, however it is hard to not eat all the marshmallow cream while it is in the process of setting.
The nice part about making these marshmallows, there is hardly any stirring involved.


Throw in a few peppermint sticks to make your gift more festive....
These are the best peppermint sticks, you can find them at Sur la Table


I thought it would be fun to put a bag of hot chocolate and a bag of marshmallows in an antique french
You can also find new cafe au lait bowls at Anthropologie....





For the hot chocolate my favorite type of chocolate to use is Penzey's Dutch Cocoa.


I found these cute red and white checked food bags at Sur La Table......
That way your food is safe if you are using vintage canisters to put your baked goods in....


(I will be listing these french canisters in my shop today....)


I also wanted to share a fun way to serve hot cocoa during the holidays using a french cheese board.....


I have a bit of an obsession with these antique French cheese boards....
I think they would work great for entertaining purposes.


I put the cookies on a french ironstone platter....
I love to use my antique ironstone on a daily basis, if you would like to read more about caring for your ironstone dishes you can do so by clicking here.....



 I used a red striped grain sack runner on the table....



I tried to make the table seem more festive by adding the peppermint sticks and the red and white ribbon......


I hope you get a chance to try the homemade marshmallows.....
You can find the recipe for the marshmallows here....
You can find the recipe for the homemade cocoa here....


If you don't want to use vintage tins for your homemade gifts,
my other favorite option is to use Martha Stewart's boxes from Michaels...
They also have a great selection of ribbon to choose from.
What is your favorite thing to put your baked goods in when giving them as gifts?

Take Care,
Maria


36 comments:

elaine said...

Beautiful! Looks so great. I love your photography :)

Irene b said...

dear Maria as always your blog is so inspiring! These days are perfect to enjoy the beauty of the simple life and we can breath it in all your photos.

I wish a merry christmas to you and all your beautiful family
kisses from tuscany
Irene

Susan said...

What fun! I may indeed try these! I love the little canisters, so cute!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Well this was a lovely & festive post! :) I haven't tried making homemade marshmallows before - so thank you for the idea! I will def have to try that sometime. :) Happy Holidays to you & yours!


XO's,
Jessie

toves sammensurium said...

sooo love the simple,yet so beautiful pictures on your posts!Light blue and red are heaven together,so cute.
tovehugs:)

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures! I have to try this, my little princess likes the hot coca. She can have it all the time:) Thanks for sharing the recipes. Greetings from Slovakia. Renata

Shaunna said...

Lovely! And homemade marshmallows sound wonderful! Merry Christmas to you!
:-)
shaunna

TheCrankyCrow said...

Gorgeously festive Maria - what a wonderful gift to receive as well. Those French canisters are wonderful - me, I usually end up running around Joann's or Michael's trying to find a tin that is halfway the right size and not nauseatingly "cute." ;o) Gonna have to try the marshmallow recipe - never made them before!! Thanks for sharing!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

le ciel flamand said...

These marshmellows look delicious! mmmmmmm!

Love from Belgium,
Annelies

Inge @ SimplyFabulousChic said...

It all looks so yummy, and also that peppermint wreath (your previous post)! Your pictures are fantastic as well, it's great to read your blog... Love everything!
Love from Bruges,
Inge x

INNENANSICHTEN said...

Hey,
I did not know so that we marshmallows. can make yourself
A great idea!

And your photos are really great!
Best regards,
Uschi

SLR said...

thank you, Maria for the recipes and lovely packaging ideas and sources. i am definitely going to try making the marshmallows...yum, i love marshmallows! i always find myself sighing and oohing and ahhh-ing over your photos...you are truly gifted.

hope the rest of your day is Merry and Bright!

Unknown said...

great shots! home made hot coco sounds so good!!!

The enchanted home said...

I love this post..what beautiful photographs.....so stunning!!

Tinas bo said...

Beautiful photos!!
Homemade marshmallows sounds great!!

Hugs Tina

Petie said...

Thanks so much for posting about homemade marshmallows. I having my family Christmas party this weekend and I was going to by marshmallows, but these look so perfect, I think I will give them a try. Wish me luck...Your photography is beautiful.

A New England Life said...

Oh YUM!! I'm definitely going to check out those homemade marshmallows! You display everything in such a divine way. It makes the hot cocoa look all the more delicious ; )

Anonymous said...

simply beautiful....smiles

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

Hi Maria~

Those marshmallows look so yummy!! We will try them. I am not a cook by any means so who knows what they will turn out like. But, we will have fun trying. Your pics looks so pretty.
xo~Cheryl

Seawashed said...

I will have to ask my hubby to look for those at Sur La Table. He is the Superintendent of a re-model at the Sur La Table in Palo Alto...he has brought home over $1000 worth of white dishware as gifts from the manager. It has been such a huge blessing and so fun.

martinealison said...

Des photos pleines de douceur de vivre... des friandises hummm qui me ramènent à l'enfance lorsque ma grand-mère confectionnait les guimauves que je fais à mon tour!!!
Gros bisous et joyeuses fêtes à vous.

Barbara@HausDesign said...

Just lovely! I haven't made homemade marshmellows before but have always wanted to - now I'm inspired!

Rozmeen said...

Hi Maria,

Lovely ideas en pictures!!

Wishing you a lovely day.

xoxo Rozmeen

karen - Simply Inspired said...

maria,
thank you for the elegant inspiration... continued season's joys to you & yours (yes, the peppermint wreath is adorable!)
-xok.

Anne Lorys said...

Just yummy and so beautifully photographed, my friend!

Hope you and your beautiful family are doing well!

Love,
Anne

Coastal California said...

Oh how I love homemade marshmallows...there's nothing like em! I haven't made any in awhile, kinda a messy job-and requires patients! I love the photos you took.

I had to tell you, since we both that the love of- my hubby's birthday is next week & I'm surprising him with over night in Mill Valley (hopefully he'll impulse buy after he sees me swoon in Maison Reve!)....
Shopping in TF store, the darling Moss & Moss, soon to open Moss & Daughter & dinner at El Paseo. A happy birthday indeed! Can hardly wait.
I'll be sure to take lots of photos & blog em . That whole town is charming.

Merry Christmas Maria- to you & your crew

Ada @ lifeasachefswife.blogspot.com

me and alice said...

Hello Maeia!
It's been a while since I visited you now.
Your home is so stunningly beautiful! Still love everything about it!!!!
I wish you and your family a
wonderful christmas!

all my love
Susanne

KELLY said...

Your photography is spectacular! Every time I visit I fall (even more) smitten.

Shannon said...

those marshmallows and hot cocoa are so cute all tied up as a gift and they also look delicious! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

kråke said...

Love..love..love everything about everything in your pictures:))

smiles...

kråke

My Beautiful World said...

Another beautiful post my friend, so nice to catch up again. Sending you and your lovely family special wishes for a very Merry Christmas Day and look forward to keeping in touch in 2012.

Always Wendy

Cindy said...

I can't think of many things better than homemade marshmallows and hot cocoa ... and the peppermint sticks are gorgeous with it all on your french cheese board... Thanks for the tips on where to buy those yummy peppermints, and Penzy's cocoa... and the marshmallow recipe!

Cindy

Deb said...

Those marshmallows look delish...I will have to try them for sure! Gorgeous photo's as always too!

derry said...

Very entertaining subject, I will bookmark your website to check out if you publGuard all-inclusive findings, distinctive research adored delivers neatly getting this item issue, called as and also additional most of these carefully.ish more in the future. Thanks!

Flowers said...

Those marshmellows look so scrummy! I can't wait to try out the recipe..thank you for sharing. Oh and love your photography!

Unknown said...

very beautiful collection of hand made.tell me,that do you want to Send gifts to Pakistan your collection?.