Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mantle Free For Now.... and My Mom's Cinnamon Roll Recipe


Hello!
I hope you are all enjoying your week....
I haven't had much time to blog the past couple of weeks....
Hopefully I can get back into it.....
I wanted to share a few images of my living room today.



The above image is an image I shot of my living room last summer....
Last month I decided to take the mantle and the clock down.....
I decided it was time for a change....
I am going to sand the mantle down and repaint it.
I actually never painted it properly in the first place, I want to sand all the old paint off and give it a fresh coat of white paint, then I will put it back to use....
That mantle is probably the only piece of furniture that has stayed in one place for so long.....
The clock will go in my son's room....

I decided to put the framed chalkboard in our living room for right now....
I was trying to achieve a french farmhouse/schoolhouse vibe.....
I actually have other plans for this area, however it might end up being a year before we complete that project : )


It is fun to see what a large chalkboard will do for your kids' creativity.....
My kids can spend hours drawing on the chalkboard....
We also now love to do school in this room since we moved it into the living room....


The chalkboard is made from reclaimed molding from an old Victorian House in San Francisco.
A favorite find!


We wrote my favorite French Bread Recipe on the chalkboard....


Bethany came up with the idea to put the chalk in this vintage french apothecary jar.....


I love that you can see all the pastel colors through the jar....
The nice part about chalk art.... It is so easy to clean up....



I stacked some of my favorite books in a pile....


One of my favorite homes featured in the Domino Magazine had stacks and stacks of books on the floor....
I didn't want to use antique books, instead I wanted to use my favorite collection of decorating books as well as cookbooks that have some color....



I topped the pile of books with my favorite vintage french alarm clock....


I will take some more pictures of the wall with the blue door in the near future....


These apple green vintage french bistro chairs are my favorite chairs....
They help add a splash of color to the room....
I am hoping to find more of these....


This pillar gets moved around the house a little too often....
For right now it sits in this corner of the living room.



This is also one of the rooms my husband added antique tin to a section of the ceiling....


I hung my favorite vintage oil painting from the 1920's....
I have had it for quite a few years.
It originally came with a frame, I took the frame off and discovered that it was a painting of a school in California.   




I am hoping to finish photographing the rest of the house soon.....


On another note......


I wanted to share my mom's cinnamon roll recipe....
My mom is known for her homemade rolls....
This recipe truly is a family favorite....


Keep in mind this recipe is for a family of 12, you might want to reduce the recipe according to your needs.
I always make the entire batch and freeze some of the cinnamon rolls...

1 cup of shortening
1 cup of sugar
2TBL salt
4 C. of scalded milk
2 cups of warm water
6 cups of flour
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups of warm water
4 1/2 TBL yeast
15 cups of flour

Filling
Brown Sugar
Butter
Cinnamon



Mix yeast and sugar.  Add luke warm water and let stand for 5 minutes until yeast is frothy. 
In a saucepan scald milk.  Remove from heat and add Crisco to the scalded milk.  Let cool to same temperature as yeast water.

Mix together scalded milk mixture and yeast mixture.  
Add 2 cups of flour and whisk well.
Add eggs and whisk well.
Add salt to 2 cups flour and then mix into dough mixture.
Add remaining flour one cup at a time mixing and kneading well as necessary.
Dough should be sticky at the end of the process.
Cover dough and let rise for one hour.

Once dough has risen, roll out into rectangular form on a floured surface.
Spread melted or softened butter generously over the form.   
Spread brown sugar generously over the butter.
Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.
Roll the rectangular form of dough lengthwise and pinch seam along the edge and ends.
Using a piece of sewing thread, cut the roll into sections.
Place the cinnamon rolls into a greased jelly roll pan.
Let rise for 15 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes
I used my favorite Emile Henry pie dishes to bake my cinnamon rolls in....
These work great for baking more then just pies in.....


Also thank you to everyone who entered my Raw Materials Design Apron Giveaway!


Congratulations Laura!


Thank you Janna Lufkin of Raw Materials Design for sponsoring a generous giveaway!

Enjoy the rest of your week!
Take Care,
Maria

53 comments:

LA VIE EN ROSE said...

Love the chalkboard, but I'm glad you're putting back your mantel - it's just so you! Also, would love your chandelier, it's a beauty!

Sharon

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Maria,
Your home is so beautiful. The chalkboard is a wonderful focal point for the room and so much fun too.
I'm hoping to make those delicious looking cinnamon rolls.

hugs
Sissie

sheepyhollow said...

Oh, the way the light floods the room is wonderful!

I hope to try your cinnamon bun recipe too!

F.T said...

Yummy, and pretty poses.

plastic card Holders
plastic cards
scratch cards

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Lovely room and beautiful photos. The cinnamon rolls look really yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Pieced Pastimes said...

Your living room is so lovely! The chalkboard is just perfect and that Cinnamon Roll Recipe sounds sinfully delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Hege Morris said...

Wow! It all looks fantastic! :) and cinnamon rolls mmmm!

Meeha Meeha said...

Wonderful photos! I'm in love with the stack of books, topped with the vintage clock - how sweet is that!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Love your home and gorgeous photos, as always. It is so fun to "fluff" and change things around a bit. I can't wait to see what you do with the mantle!

~Shanon

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Let me say I LOVE your new profile pic..Beautiful. The chalkboard looks great and I am so stealing your idea with the chalk in a jar. So simple but I never would have thought of such a fun idea.

Fairfield House said...

Maria,

What time will you be serving the delicious cinnamon rolls and coffee in your beautiful living room? :)
I love everything about that room, especially the chalk board and the vintage oil painting (adore how the chair carries the green into the room.)

Your Friend,
Deborah

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Oh my goodness I just LOVE your chalkboard ~ well I LOVE everything in your beautiful home!!
Thank you for sharing with us :)

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Love that chalkboard!
Those cinnamon rolls look so yummy! I remember when my mom use to make them from scratch. What memories! Thanks for sharing!!

sandraallen260@centurytel.net

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Love the large chalkboard. I have smaller ones but I might have to make a big one. It looks great in your house. I'm going to make your Mom's cinnamon rolls. Very special recipe! Thanks for sharing.


Jody

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,
I love the changes you made, the chalkboard is a wonderful addition to the room!!
And I too love your apple green bistro chairs, the color is beautiful!
I hope you have a lovely day.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Jalon Burton said...

What a stunning post - you have it all going on here! I love it and am so glad that I am following along! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you have a beautiful day!

Prajna said...

Love the chalkboard and especially the size of it. May I ask where did you get it from?

summersoul said...

it looks great. I have a chalkboard painted in our hallway. And the kids use it to play school when their friends come over (pretty wide hallway). I really like the apothecary jar with the chalk in it.

have a good one
MC

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy coming to your blog. And I love the ideas you have with the wonderful way to use white in your house with splashes of color. But I'm not sure why there are so many pictures of the same "scene". There were 11 pictures of the chalkboard and I realize there were two recipes but it seems to be trend on Dreamy Whites....lots of the same photo.

Melaine Thompson said...

Dear Anonymous~Personally I love looking at different angles of the same photo over and over especially if they are as good as Maria's photographs.

I find it funny when people leave "not so nice" comments, they must do so anonymously.......

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Love the chalkboard Maria, but I'm cursing you for that cinnamon roll recipe! :)

Melaine

oh-my-home said...

I'm very impressed of Your chalkboard! It's amazing, and a jar with colored chalk too!
marta from ohmyhome.pl

Carrie said...

Your have such an amazing touch! I just moved into an 80's ranch style, trying to figure out how to get it looking like your house. Always love your blog. Your photos are art, we love all the angles. Keep them coming please. Your house is my favorite house in blog-land, wish you could come to NM and help me! We don't have much "french" to chose from, but less is more anyway right?

French Grey said...

Love the chalkboard, but especially the stack of books. Always looking for ideas to use for books! I used to make cinnamon rolls all the time, but now I'm a loser and buy the frozen ones in the pan (they only take 30 min and there is only 6) Maybe when I have grandkids!
Blessings,
Cindy

All Things Chic 2 said...

Love the simplicity of this post , and the books all stacked up looks really neat!!!Nice to see you home school your children , that is a calling in it's self...I invite you to check out my blog...Blessings Lori

Unknown said...

Love the whole look of your space! Chalkboard idea fantastic : ) I do have a question..how did you create that clock on the wall? Would love to do that for my living room.
Btw.. will be trying this recipe..sounds delish!

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

Your home looks wonderful Maria! :) I cant wait to see more photos..
Love your new profile pic too!
xoxo Rachel

www.shabbyfrenchforme.blogspot.com

Hanz, Fashionista Era Design said...

gorgeous image! really love them all. just came across your blog..really nice

Dont miss my HARVEY PRINCE PERFUME Worldwide giveaway :)
http://fashionistaera.blogspot.com/2012/02/harvey-prince-perfume-worldwide.html

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

Hi Maria~~~
I love the chalkboard, it is pretty and functional...a win, win. I am looking forward to seeing what you have done with the rest of the house and see where the mantle ended up.
Loving the new profile pic:)
Hope you are all well.
Have a great day
~Cheryl

Cindy said...

Your living room is just so charming it is incredible... i love the idea of the books on the floor, My guy has tons of books and we have no where to put them.. i might just give up trying to stash them, and put them in stacks on the floor. The molding chalkboard is fabulous... cool that it causes everyone's creative juices to get flowing!

Cindy

Unknown said...

So pretty! Love everything about that room...very inspiring! I make homemade cinnamon rolls from time to time. Do you use a cream cheese icing on yours?

Fleaing France said...

I am so happy to see the recipe on the board! Living in France, you don't come across cinnamon rolls and I have been craving them. Beautiful photos!!!!

Heaven's Walk said...

I never ever get tired of seeing photos of what you're doing, moving, redoing, or painting in your beautiful home, Maria! :) May I ask you what red/white fabric is on the pillow resting on your French chair? It's so soft and faded looking, and I love it. Where can I find it? :)

xoxo laurie

Toni @ inner-beautyth.blogspot.com said...

Loooove the change! U have great style!

Anonymous said...

What a terrific blog, and the photos are to die for. Envious moi!

Following!

Elena

www.ideainteriors.blogspot.com

theshop said...

So beautiful posts,all I like,hope to be better then,and enjoy yourself,good luck in your life.
handmade gifts

Elyse said...

at the risk of repeating myself ... beautiful post, lovely style and styling, wonderful images and ideas!

you are the dream queen of blogland!

xo
elyse

Little Emma English Home said...

I could look at your pics forever....Hope you're doing fine, Maria. xx

Jill said...

Well I am in Blog heaven this afternoon. I am a teacher, home early because of a Mid West snow storm (really)! I happened to chance upon Ticking and Toile, where I found your blog. You are fantastic and your blog is wonderful. I thank you for brightening my afternoon I will be back soon for more exciting peaks since I have your whole blog to go through.

Anonymous said...

Sidewalk chalk in the vintage jar - beautiful!

Rebekah

Allison said...

What a gorgeous post and gorgeous photos! Your living room looks lovely. That chalkboard is wonderful. Love the size of it and a it's fun focal point in your room. I will have to try your cinnamon rolls...they look delicious! Your profile photo is beautiful, Maria!

Seawashed said...

I love the new look of your room and that you are sharing more of who you are. It makes me miss homeschooling. It was such a beautiful season of my life. I want to paint our oak cabinets in our kitchen this year white, but do like the look of yours in grey pearl. Thank you for the calm inspiration.

Amy Chalmers said...

hi Maria, I enjoyed this post very much looking around at all the things you were showing. I always love hearing about real paint colors and how you decided to paint the kitchen cabs the same color as the wall. I love your style, it works so well in your home and location.

excel training sydney said...

You allot best and great photograph. I like your post. Cinnamon roll is great recipe and looks very different.

paige said...

i love these images maria...
simple
elegant
beautiful!

codice promozione said...

Its fantastic and delicious recipe share with us. I like this all photo so much. You have done great work.

Catherine Peart said...

I only just discovered your blog and anticipate spending quite a bit of time here. Your styling and photography is beautiful! I think I must be missing something with the recipe though. Why does it say 6 cups of flour and then 15 cups of flour? I have read it a couple of times and I am not sure where the extra 15 cups of flour are going.

Anonymous said...

This is a amazing site i love it and the horses are adorable.
God bless

Celeste said...

Beautiful! Are the cinnamon rolls sitting on your butcher block, and if so...what is it?

Meagan@Style-Edition said...

That chalk board is amazing! I was planning to paint a wall w/chalkboard paint, but these photos have definitely convinced me that I need to build a giant leaning board instead (hope you don't mind me taking some inspiration from you!)
Thanks!!

Zummi@dmci homes for sale said...

I also love that chalk board it is very fascinating and how I like it. You did an inspirational job.

Melanie Tamminga said...

Just wondering where you bought your large chalkboard from? I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Наш вебсайт создан исключительно для фанатов такой широкоизвестной игры, как Minecraft. У нас на портале можно выбрать самый лучший для вас сервер для игры Minecraft и с увлечением окунуться в загадочный и увлекательный мир игры. Мы предлагаем новым пользователям загрузить установщик игры, для этого нужно использовать кнопку “начать игру”.

Для новых геймеров также полезной окажется информация с описаниями всех наших серверов Minecraft, из которой можно узнать много интересного о том или ином сервере и решить для себя, какой же из доступных серверов выбрать для игры. На нашем форуме происходит общение геймеров на игровую тематику, здесь можно найти также много интересной информации и узнать все детали игры, приятно пообщаться или может заиметь хороших друзей.

Чтобы воспользоваться всеми нашими услугами, надо только пройти обязательный процесс регистрации и после этого для вас будут открыты все наши двери. Наш весбсайт – это самый быстрый способ узнать всё о самой популярной на сегодняшний день игре – Minecraft. Загрузив игру и подобрав для себя самый удобный сервер Майнкрафт, вы станете на голову выше большинства игроков Майнкрафт. РФ